Mon Nov 11 2013 16:29:40 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Born Free is not your average motorcycle festival. The Born-Free Show is about the love of old motorcycles and like-minded individuals having a good time together and enjoying these bikes of the past. This is a free show, open to the public, that brings together builders and enthusiasts from all over the world.
At the show, we meet a dynamic father and son combo, Domenic Mingirulli and Dylan Mingirulli, and a very talented Japanese craftman who moved to LA to live out his American dream of building vintage choppers! The co-founder of Born Free, Grant Peterson, tells us the story of show, from its humble beginnings to where it is now.
Wed Sep 04 2013 16:22:06 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
This started as a 1997 Harley Davidson Fatboy with 37000 miles before the rebuild.
Every thing black is powder coated except gas tank and frame. It has a new black bikers choice springer front end with new 1 & 1/2 inch risers. New front Firestone tire on powder coated black rim. Custom made boadtracker handle bars with coke bottle vintage grips. The throttel housing is new custom chrome low profile. The clutch perch is powder coated black with powder coated black clutch lever. The head light is bates style new from custom chrome with a custom fabed mounting bracket. The gas tank is a vintage 1960's Indian motorcycle custom fabed to fit the bike. It still has original Indian gas cap and includes new petcock. The Harley Davidson logos on the side of the gas tank are silver leaf with silver pinstripe on gloss black paint. The Ignition key is mounted on the left side just below the gas tank in a custom made bracket. The starter button is just below the oil tank on the right side and is hidden solenoid starter button new from custom chrome. The starter clutch was replaced with a new Spyke brand clutch. It has new Samson Sidewinder exhaust. The exhaust has new gaskets new flanges and clips. The bike has a custom made one off seat. The bike has a Zippers brand chain conversion kit as seen in Hot Bike magazine. The swingarm was custom fabed to fit the new Firestone rear tire on black powder coated rim. The tail light is a vintage style new custom chrome product. The gun mount was machined from a solid piece of aluminum with trigger lock mounted to the side of the bike. When the pistol is mounted and locked it is not removable from the frame. The pistol not fire-able once mounted in the trigger lock. The trigger lock is universal and will fit most any pistol.
Fri Jun 07 2013 17:52:44 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Old Indian motorcycles never die as this one demonstrates. Brought back to life after 40 years at Kiwi Motorcycles Riverside California 2010, this 1948 classic ticks over like a vintage clock.
Thu Feb 21 2013 15:12:06 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1928 Harley-Davidson JD for auction through RM.
74 cu. in. inlet-over-exhaust V-twin engine with Schebler carburetor, three-speed hand-shift transmission, Meisinger bucket saddle and buddy seat, sprung front forks, hard-tail rear-end, hand-operated front drum brake, and foot-operated rear drum brake. Wheelbase: 59.5 in.
Recently completed year-long restoration by American Pride in Fort Worth, Texas
Correct colors and equipment for 1928 model; rare buddy seat
Harley-Davidson’s first V-twin was introduced in 1909, but it really hit its stride in 1911 with the addition of a mechanical inlet valve—the so-called overhead “pocket valve”. In 61-cubic inch form, it would remain in production for 20 years. By 1914, the V-twin had gained chain drive and a proper clutch, and a three-speed transmission and kick-start (termed step-starter) followed soon after.
When the 74-cubic inch J model was introduced in 1922, the 22JD featured full electrical equipment, while the FD model was fitted with a magneto. It was capable of 40–60 miles per gallon, and the sidecar model had a plate that was fitted below the cylinder to lower compression.
The year 1924 introduced aluminum pistons and Alemite fittings, which meant a grease gun, which was included, could be used to force lubrication into bushings at 500 psi. The spindly look from the teens disappeared in 1926 with a major redesign, including a bigger, rounded tank and more comfortable handlebars.
A new frame lowered the rider by three inches, which improved the center of gravity and the handling, while a drop-forged crucible lower down protected the engine and stiffened the chassis. Later improvements included a front brake, stronger Sager forks, and full pressure lubrication, before the model was discontinued in 1929.
The bike on offer dates from 1928. The seller found a sound, running bike from California and treated it to a year-long, $40,000 restoration by American Pride Choppers in Fort Worth, Texas. It is finished in the correct cream color with red striping, and it has never been started since the work was completed, though it is said merely to need gasoline for that to be possible.
This superb Harley-Davidson presents its next owner with the opportunity to enjoy a “new” 1928 motorcycle, both to ride and show if he or she so desires. It’s bound to be a head-turner where ever it goes.
Thu Jan 31 2013 21:53:25 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
The Minarelli motorcycle company was founded in Bologna in 1951. In 1956 Minarelli switched to exclusively manufacturing two-stroke engines, in a 2000 square metre purpose-built factory. It employed 20 technical staff and produced 70 engines a day. These were sold to companies in Italy, other parts of Europe and South America.
In 1967 the company changed its name to Motori Minarelli and opened a new plant in Calderara di Reno. By the 1970s engine production had reached 250,000 units a year. Minarelli successfully competed in Grand Prix motorcycle racing with Spanish rider Ángel Nieto winning 125cc world championships in 1979 and 1981.