Wed Mar 05 2014 15:12:24 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1929 Marmon boat tail racer for sale.
BODY: All hand formed aluminum with the exception of the original Marmon grille shell and original headlights. The aluminum body is absolute perfection, as is the fit and finish. The
Body was built in Buenos Aries, Argentina.
CHASSIS: Original 1929 Marmon, pinched in the rear to follow the boat tail body shape perfectly.
WHEELS: Rare original Buffalo knockoff wheels as used in that era for racing. Wheels are powder coated. Knockoffs are brass.
TIRES: Brand new Lucas 5:50 x 19” tires and tubes.
Brakes: Mechanical, using original Marmon backing plates with one-off custom, polished, finned aluminum drums. All brake linkage and brackets, etc., are nickel plated and are perfect.
STEERING: Original Marmon, all nickel plated box, column and pitman arm. Steering ratio is fast. Wood and aluminum steering wheel has quick disconnect for ease of entry.
SUSPENSION: Original Marmon parallel leaf springs and friction shocks. (A very good ride.)
ELECTRIC; 12 volt. All wiring is correctly cloth covered. Fuel pump is electric as are the 6 volt era correct horns. (12 volts going to 6 volt horns make them very loud!) Headlights are very bright with high & low beam. Turn signals front & rear.
MOTOR: Marmon model 68. Straight eight. (There are only 6 header runners because the 2 middle exhaust cylinders are Siamesed making it appear to be only 6 cylinders.) Bore & stroke: 2 13/16 x 4 ¼. Tons of torque. Motor has been completely rebuilt. There is a very large finned aluminum oil cooler in front of front axle (Can be seen in photo.) and I have added an oil filter on the motor. Carburetors are Holley. AND IT SOUNDS GOOOOD!
TRANSMISSION: Original Warner 3-speed, standard shift. New super smooth clutch.
DIFFERENTIAL: Original Marmon, 4.11: 1 gear.
COOLING: Radiator is a thick, all copper core and tank. Looks new with no fin damage. An original Marmon 4-blade fan keeps motor running cool always. Has aMarmon motometer.
FUEL TANK: Made of steel by the body builder, in the tail section. Not sure of the capacity but it’s large and could be around 30 gallons. Fuel pump is electric.
MISCELLANEOUS: Leather seat. 3-point seat belts, installed so they can be easily hidden for display in car shows. All of the aluminum on dashboard and firewall is engine turned. Extra set of spark plugs in firewall plug holder. Antique flashlight on firewall is by Winchester (The firearms company.) and works very well.
There is not a dent or a scratch on this car. There is nothing missing, nothing broken, nothing “wrong.” I have not exaggerated anything and there is nothing negative about the car that I should tell you about. It is ready for pleasure driving, touring or concourse the way it is. The only improvement that could be made would be to replace the gauges with more era correct vintage ones rather than the Stewart Warner gauges. A huge attention getter at any show. A truly awesome car.
The Marmon automobile was manufactured in Indianapolis from 1903 thru 1934.The It was one of the premier cars of it’s time, in the class of the Pierce Arrow, the Peerless and the Packard with a reputation for ruggedness and reliability. A Marmon Wasp, driven by Ray Harroun, took the checkered flag in 1911 as the winner of the first Indianapolis 500 race. This particular race car was famous for having the first rear view mirror and for being the only car in the race with only the driver and no ride along mechanic. Marmon built and raced several cars in the Indy 500 over the years but never again won. There is a very active national Marmon Club where I have been able to find parts and advice. I have driven this car on the interstate a number of times at speeds of 70+ mph. It will easily go faster. This is a very fine car that never fails to draw crowds with lots of questions. I have won 1st places at the few shows I have gone to. This car is ready for cruises or concourse. There are absolutely no surprises here. You will find everything I’ve stated to be true and there are no problems I have omitted to report. The underside is as meticulously built and maintained as the topside. This is an awesome car! And it sounds reeeal good! The car has a Florida title that can be transferred anywhere. I have had the car 7 years and know the car well enough to answer any questions.
Sat Jan 25 2014 21:05:24 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
The highlight lot from Bonhams this year in Scottsdale. Estimate $2.4-2.7M.
The 6C 1750 was sold to the current owner in 2010, an East Coast collector with a discerning interest in only the most original and authentic sports and racing cars extant. 10814356 was carefully transported to New Jersey, where renowned restoration specialist Steven Babinsky and his outfit, Automotive Restorations, set out to complete the restoration of this hugely important pre-war Alfa Romeo. Here the entirely original and complete Zagato Spider bodywork, still showing its hand painted and stamped 987 body number throughout, was carefully fitted to the frame, and refinished in black. All remaining components of the car were restored as needed during this painstaking process, with close attention paid at all times to ensure that the car's myriad original components remained intact. Four large binders with photos and receipts of the restoration are available for viewing, carefully documenting this $600,000 restoration in exhaustive detail.
10814356 was completed in the summer of 2012, and was promptly invited to participate in the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance. Zagato and Alfa Romeo aficionados were delighted for the chance to admire the well-known ex-Baron Philippe de Gunzbourg 6C 1750 once more. In March 2013, 10814356 was shown at the Amelia Island Concours, where it was awarded Best in Class in the highly competitive pre-war Sports and GT class.
The prize-winning Alfa was shortly thereafter shipped back to its native Italy, where it successfully completed the 2013 Mille Miglia. The car performed faultlessly on the legendary thousand-mile rally, and as the co-driving Bonhams specialist can attest, the excitement of the locals when they saw this very car, a symbol of Italian national pride and engineering excellence, was just fantastic. It was, in fact, like the 1930 and 1931 editions of the original Mille Miglia, when Nuvolari and Guidotti and later Campari and Marinoni piloted similar 6C 1750 Gran Sport Zagato Spiders to victory. After the 2013 Mille Miglia, 10814356 returned to the Concours circuit once more, where it was displayed among 49 other hand-selected motorcars on the banks of Lake Como at the Concorso d'Eleganza Villa d'Este.
Bonhams are exceptionally proud to offer here an opportunity to buy something truly magnificent, historic, and authentic. Considering its fascinating, well-understood and documented provenance, an ownership history including notable automotive figures of the 20th century, all carefully documented in the substantial history file accompanying the car, 10814356 as presented today offers unparalleled historic value, authenticity and originality. It is a rare occurrence today for a motorcar of such paramount significance to come to auction; among them, 10814356 stands out at the top.
Fri Nov 29 2013 19:02:10 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Sure its a replica, but pretty cool still!
New On MSO
1970 RCR Porsche 917K
Authentic Body Replica
We are an authorized
This chassis is new and just arrived
The chassis is a combination of aluminum monocoque front section and tube for tube recreation of the rear. The chassis is designed to have a Porsche Flat-Six engine with a 930 gearbox. The famous Gulf Racing colors, stripes and roudels are painetd and clear coated over.
The suspension is proprietary RCR with billet uprights, pindrive hubs, 14" rear wheels mounted with correct Avon tyres.
Porsche 917K History
The Porsche 917 is a racecar that gave Porsche its first overall wins at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1970 and 1971. The car was designed under the leadership of Piëch and Porsche chief engineer Helmuth Bott and powered by the Type 912 flat-12 engine of 4.5, 4.9 and 5 litres. The 917 was capable of a 0-62 mph (100 km/h) time of 2.3 seconds, 0–124 mph (200 km/h) in 5.3 seconds, and a top speed of over 240 mph (390 km/h). The 917 is one of the most iconic sports racing cars of all time, largely for its high speeds and high power outputs, and was made into a movie star by Steve McQueen in his 1971 film Le Mans.
Tue Oct 22 2013 19:43:31 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Every car guy or gal has at one point in their mechanical driven lives entertained the thought of what they would do with an unlimited budget. Would you buy that HEMI Cuda you’ve always dreamed about or maybe a ’69 Camaro ZL1. Well in 1990, a business man from the United Arab Emirates with extremely deep pockets decided to go another route, instead of purchasing a historic or fast production car, he had another dream – To own the world’s fastest street vehicle.
The gentleman contracted Mercedes Benz to build his dream car. Mercedes and the company Lotec designed, fabricated, and tested a brand new never seen before supercar. $3.5 Million dollars later, the businessman had his dream ride. The Lotec Mercedes-Benz C1000, which Lotec and Mercedes claim is capable of 268mph! To put this in perspective, the almighty Bugatti Veyron SS is limited to 257, but has the ability to push it to 267mph. Nearly 20 years old the Lotec Mercedes Benz C1000 still stands at the top.
The C1000 name stands for its Carbon fiber body and the 1000 horsepower that it creates from its massive power plant. Built to push into the near 300mph range, the group at Lotec spared no expense when constructing the body. Aerodynamically the body is absolutely incredible, every piece flows into the next flawlessly. The body looks like it was designed to take flight more so than driving on the highway. The production of the carbon fiber body may have been extensive, but the result was a Supercar whose total curb weight was only 2381lbs.
Look under the back of the massive rear spoiler and you’ll find 5.6L Mercedes-Benz V8 that has been equipped with twin Garrett turbos that help generate the 1000hp. The sound that comes out of the dual exhaust is absolutely breathtaking. A Hewland 6-speed transmission is responsible for transferring all that power to the ground.
Inside the C1000 is all business, the supercar’s doors open vertically and reveal a bright red and black carbon fiber interior. Two bucket racing style seats are equipped with 3-point harnesses to protect the driver and passenger at break-neck speeds. Inside you will find air conditioning, adjustable pedals, adjustable steering column, and believe it or not a luggage compartment.
The C1000 is arguably one of the rarest supercars in the world. It has a breathtaking look, serious power under its carbon fiber shell, and one of the greatest stories to go along with it. Don’t miss your chance to own this 1 of 1 amazingly rare supercar. Sold on a bill of sale.
Anticipated Sale Price: $1,000,000.00 to $1,300,000.00
Fri Oct 11 2013 14:43:21 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1963 Chevrolet CERV II.
Back in the day Chevy had a private skunkworks division called CERV, or Chevrolet Engineering Research Vehicles. Their task was to create the future of Corvette, and as you can see by the 1960s beast above, they most definitely did.
The CERV II has exactly zero bad angles. It does however have exactly 500 horses.
No airbag, but just look at that shift lever: thing looks like it could break your wrist before you even got in the car.
48.6 ALAM hp, 524.8 cu. in. six-cylinder T-head engine, four-speed manual transmission, solid front axle and floating rear axle with semi-elliptic leaf springs and Westinghouse shock absorbers in the front and rear, and rear-wheel mechanical brakes. Wheelbase: 129.5 in.
Comprehensive restoration by Stone Barn
Best of Show–American Winner at the 2013 Greenwich Concours
A rakish example, properly sorted for speed
Locomobile was once one of the most respected automobile manufacturers in the United States, and it was known for their quality, speed, and engineering. It was originally a manufacturer of steam cars that were somewhat akin to Stanley Steamers, but, in 1902, the firm decided to develop a gasoline-powered automobile and hired Andrew Lawrence Riker. Riker had built his first electric car in his family’s basement at 40-years-old. By 1889, he had established the Riker Electric Vehicle Company, which became one of America’s largest manufacturers of electric automobiles and trucks.
Riker developed both a two- and four-cylinder automobile for Locomobile, with both having a strong manganese bronze block and gear case and a chassis made of heat-treated steel. Every engine was tested before being placed on a chassis, and every chassis was tested for several hundred miles. With a set production of “Four Cars a Day,” it’s not surprising that in a few years Locomobile was boasting, “The Best Built Car in America.”
In 1908, Locomobile proved it was fast as well as reliable, winning the 1908 Vanderbilt Cup race. In 1911, Locomobile introduced a T-head, seven-liter, six-cylinder engine, which evolved into the Model 48. Known as the American Mercedes, the powerful and luxurious Locomobiles were fitted with custom coachbuilt bodies and delivered to such prominent buyers as William Wrigley, William Carnegie, and the Vanderbilt family.
Locomobile suffered financially in the early 1920s depression, and it was unsuccessfully merged with Mercer and Simplex before being bought by Durant in 1922, with limited production continuing until 1929.
This lovely Locomobile Model 48 Speedster was built in Australia by Jack Jeffreys, of Sydney, Australia, in the early 1960s. Built on a 1920 chassis and engine, this Speedster was fashioned to appear as a 1914 example. At that time, the 142-inch chassis was shortened to its present wheelbase of 129.5 inches, the original 27-inch wheels were replaced with 25-inch wheels, as tires were not then available in the original size, and this rakish-looking speedster body was fabricated.
In 1964, the Locomobile was featured on the cover of the May issue of Veteran & Vintage Magazine; a copy of which accompanies the car. Following Jeffreys’ ownership, the car went to the UK in the 1990s, before being acquired by the current North American-based owner in the mid-2000s. In need of some attention at this point, the owner opted to send it to Stone Barn Automobile Restoration, which performed a body-off restoration between 2007 and 2008, including a refinishing of the wood, a concours-quality repaint of the engine and chassis, and the addition of a correct rear spare tire carrier and taillight assembly, which were fabricated using correct pieces that were borrowed from another Model 48. In addition, all pieces that were previously finished in nickel were refinished in brass for the correct factory appearance.
Mechanical work included rebuilding of the clutch and sourcing and installing a number of correct parts, including a Bosch dual two-spark magneto and magneto switch, a generator, headlamps, and a spark plug wire loom. A full basic service was performed, including adjusting the brake and inspecting the engine and transmission internals, which were in proper order. More substantial work included the installation of modern engine seals and the installation of new valves and guides, as well as grinding of the valve seats. The front suspension was rebuilt, including the fabrication of new front hubs and 25-inch front wheels and rims.
With final detailing completed in the past year, the car was shown at several events, starting with Amelia Island in March, the Celebration of Automobiles at Indianapolis in May, and the Greenwich Concours in June, where it won Best of Show–American. The owner, in a display of his confidence of the mechanical performance of the Locomobile, took it around the track at Indy at a speed that approached 70 mph!
This Locomobile is a proper example that has all of the desirable speedster features, including full instrumentation, dual rear-mounted spares, a high cowl with cut-down doors, and a thick leather strap to hold down the bonnet at speed. This lovely example is accompanied by a set of restoration invoices from Stone Barn, as well as the monocle windshield and aluminum belly-pan that had been previously installed. It is ready for a great many historic events, including numerous AACA tours, and it requires only a driver with a leather helmet, gloves, and goggles to demonstrate what it was built for—speed.
Please contact our exclusive automotive transportation partner, Reliable Carriers, for a shipping quote or any other information on the transport of this vehicle.
Mon Aug 19 2013 15:49:58 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1955 Mercury M100 Truck
Thank you for viewing my 1955 Mercury M100 pickup truck. Currently registered and running in Alberta, Canada. This classic truck has an 8 Cylinder engine and is in running condition! Please view all of the pictures and check out the short video.
This 2005 Maserati MC12 2dr MC12 Coupe features a V12 12cyl Gasoline engine. It is equipped with a 6 Speed Automatic transmission. The vehicle is White with a Blue Full Leather interior. It is offered As-Is, not covered by a warranty.
FEATURES and OPTIONS
This vehicle comes equipped with AM-FM, Full Leather Interior Surface.
Contact Sales Department at 858-454-1800 or for more information
Thu May 30 2013 23:36:17 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1967 Shelby GT-500 - $169,990
This 1967 Shelby GT500 (Stock # 30705) is available in our Redwood City, CA showroom and any inquiries may be directed to us at 650-276-5400 or via email at Certified '67 GT500Up for sale today is a truly spectacular 1967 Shelby GT500 that is documented as coming from the San Jose, CA factory in 1967 with a 428 CI V-8 engine, a 4-speed transmission, the Shelby optional extra cooling package, and many other premium options such as power front disk brakes and power steering. Only 1,376 of these legendary vehicles were produced with this engine/trans combo and only 129 came equipped with the louvered hood and the engine oil cooler. To say that this vehicle is beyond rare is certainly an understatement.Over 4,000 Hours Dedicated to RestorationCurrently, this 1967 Shelby GT500 is equipped with a blueprinted and balanced 427 Side Oiler that was cast in 1966 and it has numerous modifications such as an Eski high-performance cam, Lemans connecting rods, 2.5 in. cast Ford high-performance headers, and several additional options. In fact, the current owner has stated that over 4,000 man-hours have been dedicated to this restoration and the results are simply breath-taking.One of 129 Ever ProducedThe results get even more impressive once you take a closer look at this 1967 Shelby GT500. It comes equipped with a 4-speed top loader with the desirable Hurst shifter, Koni high-performance shocks, Shelby 10-spoke wheels, a Cobra front-brake cooling kit, and the list goes on and on. This GT500 is actually "better than new" in many ways as well because the current owner ensured that problems like engine overheating and electrical issues are all removed from the equation.
Sun Apr 07 2013 02:44:49 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1965 Shelby Cobra 289 expected to fetch $650-850,000 at auction.
Est. 271 bhp, 289 cu. in. Ford OHV V-8 engine with Holley four-barrel carburetor, four-speed manual transmission, ladder-type steel tubing chassis with independent front and rear suspension via A-arms, transverse leaf springs, and tubular shock absorbers, and four-wheel hydraulic disc brakes. Wheelbase: 90 in.
Recent, outstanding, show-quality restoration
Listed in the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s
With original documentation, including Shelby & dealer invoices
Desirable rack-and-pinion specification
The notion of producing a hybrid sports car in the 1960s was, at its core, quite simple. While British manufacturers retained the edge in styling, road holding, and superb braking, American firms held a distinct horsepower advantage. This “best of both worlds” concept was, of course, nothing new. Post-war Allards, Cunninghams, and Nash-Healeys used the same basic premise. Carroll Shelby, however, considered chassis from Austin-Healey, Jensen, and Bristol before settling on AC, after hearing that the builders of the stylish and sturdy Ace had lost their engine supplier when Bristol ceased production.
Attractive, lightweight, and proven, the AC Ace could, by Shelby’s thinking, be turned into a successful production racer by replacing its aging six-cylinder engine with a powerful, deep-breathing V-8. In September 1961, Shelby wrote Charles Hurlock, of AC Cars, to propose a hybrid car using the AC sports car body and chassis. “I’m interested,” wrote Hurlock, “if a suitable V-8 could be found.” Shelby moved quickly when Editor Ray Brock, of Hot Rod magazine, told him of Ford’s new, lightweight small block V-8. Soon after, Shelby had an early 221-cubic inch example installed in a stock AC Ace. In fact, the V-8 weighed just slightly more than the six-cylinder Bristol.
Ford engineer Dave Evans then offered Shelby an even better solution. A high-performance 260-cubic inch small-block V-8 was already in production for Ford’s Falcon, and two engines would be on the way to him soon. They were immediately sent by airfreight overseas, and on February 1, 1962, Carroll Shelby flew to England to test drive the new Shelby “Cobra.” The rest, as they say, is history.
According to the World Registry of Cobras & GT40s, the 1964 Shelby Cobra 289, CSX2332, was originally billed to Shelby American on February 10, 1964, and it was shipped to Los Angeles aboard the SS Amsteldyk. It was later invoiced to Bill Doenges Ford, of Tulsa, Oklahoma, on September 10, 1964, and it was originally painted bright blue with a red interior. An interesting note in the Registry sates, “The relative lateness of the car’s invoicing, when most cars near it by serial number were sold and delivered to dealers in the spring of ’64, might be partially explained by a note handwritten on the sales department order form, which read, ‘Note: new speedo. Clean floor mats like new, check and retune completely, do 500 miles service. Replace seat belts with new.’ This suggests that 2332 did some PR or demo service prior to being sold with a new speedometer registering no mileage.”
The first owner of 2332 was William Faulkner, of Tulsa. Faulkner sold the car, with its original paperwork, to Bob Crowder, who reportedly added the side pipes and beefed up the 289 engine. This transaction has been previously reported to be in the early-1970s, but the original registration documents that still survive with the car show Faulkner’s ownership to have lasted until at least 1978. In any case, Crowder sold the car in 1986, with 21,000 miles, to Jamey Mazzotta, of Redding, California, who retained the car for several years before selling it to Andy Cohen, of Beverly Hills. Cohen was the owner of Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories and featured the car on his 1991 parts catalogue, by which point it had been repainted in black with black upholstery. The catalogue noted that the car had 24,000 miles and had a beefed up “375+ HP 289 motor, which has propelled this particular car to a 12-second flat quarter-mile time!” The car subsequently passed to Jay Rawitzer, of Danville, California, who had the car through at least 2001. When the car was last advertised, it was noted that the car had 36,000 miles; the odometer now reads 36,798 miles, which is believed original since the mileage has been recorded throughout the cars life.
Aside from the extensive history in the Registry, CSX2332 is accompanied by a small cache of important original paperwork, including the registration application and subsequent registrations from 1965 through 1977, the original Shelby American window sticker, Faulkner’s cancelled insurance and deposit checks, the Doenges Ford retail buyer’s order, and a check receipt from Doenges Ford.
After acquiring the car, Mr. Davis commissioned a full restoration, which has made this example a standout among its peers. Finished in black with black leather upholstery and black carpeting, CSX2332 rides on chromed Borrani wire wheels and is shod with Goodyear Polyglas tires. It is also equipped with side curtains, a soft top, a tonneau cover, a spare wire wheel, and a rear nerf bar with overriders in the front and rear. The overall fit and finish of the body, paint, upholstery, and engine bay is outstanding, with nothing overlooked; it should also be noted that the chassis number stamping is clearly visible through the new paint and that the underside is just as glossy as the rest of the body. There are no blemishes of note on the paint, and the interior is stunning with its black dash and Stewart Warner gauges. Exceptionally presented and restored, CSX2332 is certainly worthy of serious inclusion in the collection of the discerning aficionado of post-war American muscle.
Thu Mar 28 2013 02:44:20 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1970 Plymouth Superbird - $524,995
This 1970 Road Runner is one of the classic 1970 muscle cars. It was restored in 2009 and is fully documented. This Plymouth Super Bird has less than 11,000 original miles on the odometer and is certified by Galen Govier. It is one of only a handful of Ray Nichels, of the NASCAR Mechanics Hall of Fame, cars left in existence. Over 4000 hours of research and restoration were completed in order to expertly finish the car. Every last piece of documentation was discovered in order to insure it was properly restored, exactly like it was built by the factory. The equipment includes a 440 C.I. Super Commando 4 bbl engine, an A833 four speed transmission, and a 3:55 Sure Grip posi differential. The 1970 Road Runner also features a NASCAR roll cage with a 3 point shoulder harnesses, power steering, 4 wheel power disc brakes, an extra oil pressure gauge, console and AM radio. This car was originally painted Alpine White, but was repainted to match exactly Ray Nichels Ice Blue Poly. The chassis is the correct factory paint with matching undercoating. All the items used during restoration were either NOS or refurbished original parts. This highly documented Super Bird comes with all the supporting information as well as detailed service records. Don't miss this opportunity to own a piece of history!
Thu Mar 28 2013 02:46:23 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1953 Corvette - $350,000
16th Corvette Produced!! 16 of only 300 produced in 1953, 100% restored matching numbers original car, Polo White exterior, Blue flame 6 cylinder engine, 2 speed power glide automatic transmision. Seller has owned this car since 1995 and has the original side curtains and Bel Air hub cabs that were used on the first 20 Corvettes produced. This car, #16, was used by Chevrolet Motor Division as a sales demonstrator and show car. 59,624 actual miles!
Fri Feb 22 2013 16:14:00 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1970 Porsche 908/3 is projected to sell for $1,400,000 - $1,700,000.
350 bhp, 2,997 cc DOHC air-cooled flat eight-cylinder engine with Bosch mechanical fuel injection, five-speed manual transaxle, four-wheel independent suspension with coil springs and shock absorbers, and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 91.5 in.
Number four of 13 examples produced
Just four private owners over 37 years
Factory test-chassis of the Targa Florio-winning model that contributed to Porsche’s 1970 and 1971 Makes Championship
Two-and-a-half-year restoration completed in 2005
Recognized as authentic by the Porsche factory
Exhibited with, and vintage raced against, some of Porsche’s greatest drivers
Lightweight aluminum chassis with precise handling and powerful performance
Ideal for vintage racing events and concours d’elegance
The 1970 season proved to be a milestone for Porsche racing in a number of respects. After winning the International Championship for Makes in 1969 with the 908/2, and concurrently introducing the soon-to-be-dominant 917, Porsche officially bowed out of factory team racing, thereafter supplying cars and development expertise to John Wyer Racing, with alternative support to the Porsche Salzburg team (soon to morph into the Martini Racing team). John Wyer was particularly notable for his contributions to several winning programs over the years, including Aston Martin’s DBR, Ford’s initial GT40, and his own highly successful Le Mans-winning GT40s that famously wore the blue and orange Gulf Oil livery.
While the powerful 12-cylinder 917 was slated for a majority of the 1970 and 1971 seasons’ endurance events, two events in particular represented trouble spots for the heavy car. Both the Targa Florio and the Nürburgring 1000, with their winding courses, were unsuitable to the 917’s strength and raw power through the straightaways. Reasoning that a lighter, quicker car would nicely address the needs of these two circuits, Porsche engineered a final iteration of the 908, the recent 908/2 spyder-version that had proven so instrumental to the 1969 championship.
To address the challenges of the Targa and the Nürburgring, Porsche retained only the 908’s engine, the three-liter flat-eight that had been developed in response to 1968’s new displacement regulations. The 908/2’s spyder body and underlying chassis were abandoned in favor of an entirely new car, one strongly based on the successful 909 hill climb spyder of 1968, which seated the driver’s legs over the front axle. A wide, lightweight polymer body contributed to athletic handling and downforce with minimal lateral inertia through turns, proving to be ideally suited to the twists of the two targeted courses.
Initially dubbed the 908/69 project, two prototypes of the 908/3 were developed, which were soon followed by seven competition chassis. The new race car performed its mission flawlessly, with Jo Siffert and Brian Redman taking 1st place at the 1970 Targa Florio for Wyer’s Gulf team, and two other 908/3s placing 2nd and 5th. At the Nürburgring 1000, the spyder continued to fulfill its role, finishing 1st and 2nd, after which the cars were removed from competition and stored by the Porsche factory, with the 917s then being used for the remainder of the season.
In 1971, the mothballed cars were resuscitated and prepared for the same two races, highlighted by a 1-2 finish at the Nürburgring 1000. Following its key role in Porsche’s victory in the Manufacturers Championships of 1970 and 1971, the 908/3 soon became a favorite of at least four private teams during the 1970s, undergoing minor body modifications and eventually being equipped with a 2.14-liter version of the six-cylinder turbo engine developed for the RSR race cars. The 908/3’s overwhelming record of racing success, stretching as late as the early-1980s, remains an undeniable testament to the longevity of the car’s engineering and design.
Renowned for their quick, precise handling and rewarding power-to-weight ratio, only thirteen 908/3 examples were made in total, of which only six actively campaigned in period. The purposeful spyder has become increasingly prized by collectors for its rarity, sensational driving characteristics (especially apparent in vintage events), and its identity as the ultimate development of the celebrated flat-eight 908.
According to the research of Dale Miller, a Porsche race car expert and former PCA historian, chassis number 004 was originally designated as a spare chassis to be used for flex testing at the Weissach racing development facility. As a test chassis, 004 was never fitted with a body or raced, and following development, it was stored by Porsche until 1976, when the car was sold to Kremer Racing with a package of spare parts (mostly consisting of suspension pieces). Kremer retained the car as a backup to chassis number 006, which they were then actively campaigning.
Never used by Kremer, chassis number 004 and its accompanying spare parts were sold to Bill Bradley Racing, who in turn sold them to Mr. Miller in 1996. In addition to his vast knowledge as a Porsche historian, Mr. Miller is notable as the owner of Miller Historic Motorcars and is a respected trader of rare Porsche prototype race cars. Recognizing this spyder’s unique provenance, Mr. Miller set about a restoration that would finally take chassis number 004 to the status of a complete, fully-bodied, and proper 908/3.
Jerry Woods, of Campbell, California, a well-known expert in Porsche engine tuning and rebuilds, was retained to conduct a full mechanical restoration. An engine specialist who was once a chief mechanic on the Kremer team, Mr. Woods frequently collaborates with a nearby restoration shop, Morspeed, for chassis and bodywork, as he did with this car. The reputation of Mr. Woods’ and Morspeed’s restorations is particularly distinguished among Porsche collectors.
For bodywork, proper fiberglass cloth was sourced from Germany and laid into authentic body molds to produce the spyder’s four exterior pieces (the nose and tail sections and the two doors), as well as the correct fiberglass interior panels. A proper three-liter 908 engine was sourced and rebuilt to original specifications by Mr. Woods. Addressing every possible concern, including an authentic paint livery in the John Wyer/Gulf team color scheme, the fabulous restoration was completed in 2005, and 004 was then delivered to a buyer-in-waiting, the consignor. Mr. Miller estimates that he invested approximately $300,000 in the meticulous two-and-a-half-year refurbishment.
Since taking possession of chassis number 004, the consignor has only raced the car about a dozen times, always consistently thrilled by its rewarding performance. The 908/3’s raw power and superior handling were immediately evident from the owner’s first competitive outing, qualifying for the 2005 Road Atlanta Vintage Event, where he earned a pole position in just his first serious attempt behind the wheel. Campaigning at locations such as Lime Rock and Elkhart Lake, chassis number 004 also took 4th place at Mont-Tremblant, and in 2009, it placed 9th at the Monterey Historic Races in a field including Brian Redman and fellow Porsche driver Derek Bell (in a pair of 917s). This car also participated in a stage presentation at the 2007 Amelia Island Concours d’Elegance, where Brian Redman spoke about his Porsche racing experiences and Derek Bell and Vic Elford were among the judges.
Dutifully maintained during recent ownership, this outstanding 908/3 lacks for nothing, and it would be ideal for historic racing. The short, nimble chassis, smooth flat-eight power, and open-air spyder characteristics make the car a constant thrill to enjoy at speed. Chassis number 004 is also eminently eligible for notable concours and vintage events, where its rarity and stunning preparation will surely draw transfixed crowds and the admiration of true Porsche enthusiasts.
As one of only thirteen 908/3 examples constructed, chassis number 004 must be judged among the remaining examples for an accurate notion of its relative provenance. Only eight cars were actively campaigned in period, suggesting that as many as five examples were relatively unused ones such as this. For its lack of period racing, the car can claim a minimally used chassis that remains ideally fresh for future use.
In terms of originality, only one 908/3 retains its original bodywork (chassis number 009, currently displayed at the Porsche Museum). A vast majority of the 908/3 cars, therefore, wear some form of refurbished or newly molded bodywork, implying that this car is nearly as desirable in terms of originality as most of the other remaining 12. Considering the quality of the materials and molds used to expertly fabricate this body, and the dearth of original, unmarred factory bodies, 004’s coachwork can be considered as authentic as many (with the exception of chassis number 009).
As a piece of racing history, the 908/3 remains a truly fascinating speed machine, an inextricable part of Porsche’s 1970 and 1971 Makes Championships, and a brilliant partner to the legendary 917. Overwhelmingly rare and sensationally restored, chassis number 004 is officially recognized by the Porsche factory and Porsche historian Jüergen Barth as one of the original 13 cars, and it would make a crowning addition to even the most decorated marque collections. It is a delectable racing jewel that epitomizes the genius of Weissach’s early-1970s dominance.
Please note, this car is offered on a Bill of Sale only.
Sun Feb 17 2013 23:00:54 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1948 Tucker 48 up for sale through RM Auctions.
166 bhp, 335 cu. in. OHV horizontally-opposed six-cylinder engine, four-speed pre-selector transmission, four-wheel independent suspension, and four-wheel hydraulic drum brakes. Wheelbase: 130 in.
An American legend
One of 51 built
The third Tucker pilot-production car
Formerly owned by Bill Pettit and film legend George Lucas
Extensively and authentically restored, with notable attention to drivability
Road & Track magazine founder John R. Bond once said, “A little knowledge about cars can be dangerous.” Preston Thomas Tucker was an industry veteran with a lot of knowledge about cars, and he used that knowledge to dream bigger than just about anyone else in the U.S. automobile industry after World War II. The reasons why he did not succeed remain controversial, but success is not only measured in dollars and production numbers. It is measured in lasting memories, and for many, the Tucker 48 remains a rolling symbol of the American dream, as well as one of the most advanced, early post-war automobiles.
Tucker’s concept for his car was revolutionary. He intended to use a Ben Parsons-designed rear-mounted engine, with all-independent Torsilastic rubber-sprung suspension and a disc brake at every wheel. Drive was to be by twin torque converters, one at each rear wheel. The body design was penned by former Auburn Automobile Company designer Alex Tremulis, and it incorporated numerous safety features that Tucker promoted, including a windshield that would pop out in an accident, a wide space under the dash-pad into where front seat passengers could duck before a collision, and a center-mounted third headlight that would turn with the front wheels.
Early in the production cycle, the Tucker saw some of those dreams evaporate. The safety features survived, but the Parsons 589 engine and direct torque converter drive proved impractical. Tucker purchased Air Cooled Motors, a New York manufacturer of small aircraft engines, and reworked their product for water-cooling. He installed it in his car, along with a four-speed transaxle borrowed from the Cord 810 and 812.
Eventually, 51 examples of the Tucker 48 were assembled, and of those were the original “Tin Goose” prototype and 50 pilot-production cars. Public acclaim and desire for the new design was at a fever pitch. Unfortunately, it was all for naught. The Tucker Corporation came under the scrutiny of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. The wheels of government ground slowly, and by the time Tucker and his executives were eventually declared “not guilty” in early-1950, the public had lost faith and Tucker had lost his factory. The car once nicknamed the “Torpedo” had been, effectively, torpedoed.
Since so few Tuckers were produced, the cars often varied, with running design and engineering changes implemented along the way. Serial number 1003, the car offered today, was the third car built, and it was the first to have the valance panel between the body and front bumper. Of the six factory colors available, this car is one of 12 originally painted Maroon (paint code 600).
Number 1003 was sold new by the factory to Arkansas Tucker Sales Corporation. Not long after, it was returned to the factory in exchange for car 1002, and it was sent by Farber Motor Sales, of Columbus, Ohio, to Cincinnati, where it was displayed on the streets and at the Music Hall there. It was promoted in Cincinnati by local dealer Eddie Numerich, and apparently, it remained in the Queen City until June of 1950, when it was sold there by the Watson Auto Auction.
Apparently Art Watson was the buyer of the car, which he took to Florida in 1951 and displayed at his dealerships there. Research points to a 1962 transfer from Watson to William C. Pettit III, of Louisa, Virginia, brokered by the late Paul Stern, who drove it from Pennsylvania to its new home. The Tucker was a visitor favorite at the Pettits’ Museum of Motoring Memories, open for several years near the tourist mecca of Natural Bridge in the 1960s. Bill Pettit cared for his family’s cars for decades, and even after the museum closed, he sentimentally maintained the collection. In the late-1980s, his retirement resulted in the sale of many of the cars, including the Tucker, which was purchased by none other than George Lucas.
To the moviegoer, Lucas’ name requires no introduction. His is the visionary imagination behind Star Wars, the 1977 blockbuster that revolutionized moviemaking, as well as for other box office smash successes, such as the Indiana Jones series. His Lucasfilm Ltd. and its groundbreaking special effects division, Industrial Light & Magic, became an entertainment industry heavyweight, making him among the most successful and prominent figures of the Hollywood film community. One of Lucas’ contributions was as executive producer of Francis Ford Coppola’s 1988 film Tucker: The Man and His Dream, a fictionalized version of Preston Tucker’s story, starring Jeff Bridges. The film revived modern interest in the Tucker and has become something of a cult classic among automobile enthusiasts.
Both Coppola and Lucas acquired genuine Tuckers, of which, Lucas’s 1003 sat proudly in his private collection at his Skywalker Ranch. After several years, the filmmaker decided to sell one of the pair he owned and to pass this car on in June of 2005. It was eventually acquired by the present owners in California, who elected to have the Tucker fully and properly restored.
Several years of exhaustive work followed, including the straightening and refitting of all body panels, installing all new wiring throughout, restoring all instruments and unique switches, crafting correct upholstery and interior fittings with many NOS parts, carefully refurbishing and refitting all chrome, with special attention given to the rear grille, which required extensive restoration, crafting new, correct wheel-covers, and matching the as-delivered Maroon paint to an original sample in the collection of Tucker guru David Cammack. The majority of the exterior work was carried out by Bata Mataja’s B.A.D. Company in Sun Valley, California, with a myriad of finishing touches and a sorting of the mechanical restoration undertaken by Martyn Donaldson, a Tucker Club historian in Los Angeles. Mr. Donaldson is acknowledged as a leading specialist on Tucker authenticity, with first-hand familiarity with 40 of the 51 examples produced. Photographic documentation of the restoration is available for review. Importantly, unlike many Tuckers today, great attention was given to sorting this car mechanically so that it would be a reliable road car. Accordingly, it was driven on the freeway to a show at the Art Center College of Design, and it remains not only a beautiful automobile, but one that is fully and robustly functional. As can be imagined, it is a particular thrill, enjoyed by a remarkably fortunate few, to see one of these dramatic and historic cars on the road under full power.
Tucker number 1003 spectacularly represents the fulfillment of Preston Tucker’s dream. A little knowledge about cars can be dangerous, but it can also result in something so full of passion and fascination that it can survive bureaucracy and time to become an icon of its age and the ultimate validation of its creator. It is the American dream on four wheels.
Sun Feb 17 2013 23:03:12 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1928 Harley-Davidson JD for auction through RM.
74 cu. in. inlet-over-exhaust V-twin engine with Schebler carburetor, three-speed hand-shift transmission, Meisinger bucket saddle and buddy seat, sprung front forks, hard-tail rear-end, hand-operated front drum brake, and foot-operated rear drum brake. Wheelbase: 59.5 in.
Recently completed year-long restoration by American Pride in Fort Worth, Texas
Correct colors and equipment for 1928 model; rare buddy seat
Harley-Davidson’s first V-twin was introduced in 1909, but it really hit its stride in 1911 with the addition of a mechanical inlet valve—the so-called overhead “pocket valve”. In 61-cubic inch form, it would remain in production for 20 years. By 1914, the V-twin had gained chain drive and a proper clutch, and a three-speed transmission and kick-start (termed step-starter) followed soon after.
When the 74-cubic inch J model was introduced in 1922, the 22JD featured full electrical equipment, while the FD model was fitted with a magneto. It was capable of 40–60 miles per gallon, and the sidecar model had a plate that was fitted below the cylinder to lower compression.
The year 1924 introduced aluminum pistons and Alemite fittings, which meant a grease gun, which was included, could be used to force lubrication into bushings at 500 psi. The spindly look from the teens disappeared in 1926 with a major redesign, including a bigger, rounded tank and more comfortable handlebars.
A new frame lowered the rider by three inches, which improved the center of gravity and the handling, while a drop-forged crucible lower down protected the engine and stiffened the chassis. Later improvements included a front brake, stronger Sager forks, and full pressure lubrication, before the model was discontinued in 1929.
The bike on offer dates from 1928. The seller found a sound, running bike from California and treated it to a year-long, $40,000 restoration by American Pride Choppers in Fort Worth, Texas. It is finished in the correct cream color with red striping, and it has never been started since the work was completed, though it is said merely to need gasoline for that to be possible.
This superb Harley-Davidson presents its next owner with the opportunity to enjoy a “new” 1928 motorcycle, both to ride and show if he or she so desires. It’s bound to be a head-turner where ever it goes.
Fri Feb 01 2013 23:02:38 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
This beautiful factory Candy Apple Red 4-speed GT500KR is one of the last Shelbys built in 1968. It is #4434 of 4450 built. The car was cosmeticly restored back in the 90's and still looks great. It has recently been cleaned, detailed and had a few minor repairs made to return the car back to a great show driver quality standard. The car still has its original VIN plate and data plate on the door. It also has the original buck tag, original trans tag and original rear end tag. The block is dated 8G9 but the VIN is not present on the block or the heads. The transmission bell housing is dated 8G5. All of the fiberglass and sheetmetal are original with the exception of the driver quarter panel and patches on both of the trunk turn downs. Overall the car is in beautiful shape and ready to be driven and enjoyed. It is ready for the road but certainly nice enought to display at any national or local show.
Fri Feb 01 2013 23:16:45 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
A 1936 Mercedes-Benz 540 K Special Roadster. One of only 30 built, it was estimated to sell for as much as $16 million at a two-day auction of classic cars at Gooding & Co. in Pebble Beach, California, on Aug. 18-19, 2012. It sold for $11.8 million with fees, a record for the marque at auction.
Wed Jan 23 2013 00:15:41 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Coming out on top at RM last weekend was Lot 164, a 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta 'Competizione' that sold for a massive $8,140,000 – the buyer could've nearly bought two Barris Batmobiles for that chunk of change.