Tue Oct 22 2013 20:43:07 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
Lean and mean the Phantom Corsair is a One-off build from 1938. This 6-passenger Coupe (built on top of a Cord chassis and drive-train), was designed by Rust Heinz, a member of the H. J. Heinz family, & Maurice Schwartz of the Pasadena, CA based Bohman & Schwartz coachbuilding company.
In 1938 The Phantom Corsair was featured in The Young in Heart comedy as the "Flying Wombat" automobile.
Go see it in person! The car is displayed at the (Ex-Harrah Collection) National Automobile Museum in Reno, NV
Just want to drool at more photos? then this link is for you:
Mon Oct 21 2013 21:07:40 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
A picture of a Panhard & Levassor Dynamic (produced 1936-1939).
"Presented at the Paris Motor Show Dynamic is extraordinary. It has the first self-supporting aerodynamic body. Handling and comfort are staggering, with an independent front suspension and torsion bars on all four wheels. The brakes are hydraulic with two separate circuits front and rear.
The handling is outstanding. The "panoramic" windscreen remains, but the windows of the front doors are also now curved. The body is extremely spacious, with 1.55 m inner width, to accommodate 6-7 people. A special feature of this car is the steering wheel positioned which is nearly central.
The aesthetics were due to stylist Louis Bonnier, the same man responsible for the Dyna Z Panhard model. Some find it's soft forms more reminiscent of a whale. "
Tue Oct 01 2013 18:18:54 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
An advert for a Panhard Dyna Z.
"Made by Panhard of France. It was first presented to the press at a Paris restaurant named "Les Ambassadeurs" on 17 June 1953 and went into production the following year. In 1959 it was replaced by the Panhard PL 17."
Not a curvy car, but the same philosophy applied. Shown here a Bugatti Model 100P Racer wearing "Bleu de France".
"The 100P was nearly complete when Germany invaded France. As the Germans closed in on Paris in June 1940, the Bugatti 100P was removed from the furniture factory and loaded on a truck. The 100P was taken out into the country and hidden in a barn on Bugatti’s Ermeronville Castle estate 30 mi northeast of Paris. Because of France’s surrender, the aircraft never progressed beyond the initial design phase; it was built to win the Deutsch de la Meurthe Cup, an aviation race consisting of two 10 lap stages around a 100 km (62 mi) course near Paris."
Thu Aug 08 2013 20:35:26 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
The “Round Door Rolls-Royce” as it is known, was a very interesting car for its time that carried bold and very imaginative one-off coach work. It is based on a 1925 Phantom I Rolls-Royce chassis which was first introduced in 1925.
t was bought new by Mrs. Hugh Dillman of Detroit, MI., and the chassis was delivered to Hooper & Co., a respected London-based coach builder who constructed a cabriolet body for the chassis. Mrs. Dillman for whatever reason was unhappy with the finished result and never took delivery of the car.
It appears that it was then purchased by the Raja of Napara and passed through several other owners hands until it arrived in Belgium in 1932. Two years later an unknown owner had the Belgium firm of Jonckheere construct its second coach work. It has been reported that in 1936 the creation won a Prix d’Honneur at the August, 1936 Cannes Concours d’Elegance in France.
Recently a press photo surfaced, which is dated July 2, 1938. The caption with it states that it was owned at the time by Maxwell M. Bilofsky and it was one of the first cars to be routed on a New England trip, by the Automobile Club of Boston. Bilofsky is listed as being a electric light bulb magnate at the time.
Apparently the car again passed through several more owners and before World War II it appeared in Bar Harbor, Maine, where it was chauffeur driven for the new owner. It managed to survive WWII, but somehow ended up in a junk yard (above) in New Jersey during the 1950s. It evidently came into collectors hands in the 1950s and was saved and restored. In 2001 it was purchased by the Peterson Museum after which it re-restored and it has remained in the collection since.
Tue Jun 11 2013 14:48:56 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1959 BMW 3200 Michelotti Vignale Roadster.
A one-off production. Since the 2013 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance is featuring BMW 507s we may see this car on the green;cross your fingers! To see the other featured marques: Photo credit:
Wed Mar 13 2013 22:59:41 GMT+0000 (Coordinated Universal Time)
1934 Bugatti Type 46 roadster with a Ottin body in lyon. Ottin coachwork exploited the patent "Baehr Body" convertible and manufactured flexible Weymann bodies replaced later by the use of aluminum. source: